How-to: Update the theme
Please download the latest installable theme version from your account download page on ThemeForest. Click the "Download" button and select "Installable WordPress files only" for the submenu.
* Before you update the theme it is recommend to create a backup of your website with a plugin like UpdraftPlus.
The theme can be updated on three different ways:
1. Envato Market Plugin
2. FTP Client
- Login to your server with a FTP client
- Navigate to the theme folder in your WordPress installation (e.g. wordpress/wp-content/themes/)
- Rename the folder of the theme you're currently using (e.g. theme-name-1 or theme-name-2)
- Unzip the downloaded zip file and upload the folder to the themes folder on your server
- Investigate if everything is working correctly
- Remove the old theme folder from your server
3. WordPress Dashboard
It's possible to update the theme on this way but it is not recommend. Because you need to switch themes your widgets and menu's could be assigned to other positions and you need to reorder them. Unfortunately this is a WordPress thing and happens randomly.
- Please navigate to Appearance > Themes
- Activate the default WordPress theme (like TwentySeventeen)
- Click on the thumbnail of the theme you want to update and click 'delete' in the bottom right corner
- Click on 'Add New' in the top
- Click on 'Upload File'
- Upload the freshly downloaded theme zip file
- Activate the theme